In our constant effort to provide nothing short of the best and most comprehensive music coverage possible, a new idea has been born. Once a month, we will feature a band that we “triple cover” at a live event with content that is extensive but also precise.
It seemed only natural that the first band to be featured would be Garage A Trois in a series with “triple” in the title. Aside from this obvious reason, there were others. The cast of players, Marco Benevento, Mike Dillon, Stanton Moore & Skerik, have an incredible new album out with Always Be Happy But Stay Evil that is equal parts funk, terror and jazz, Garage has consistently proven that instrumental music is not something that is reserved for grocery stores or elevators.
Garage A Trois
The 5 Spot
May 11, 2011
On the heels of their recent studio release, Garage A Trois made a stop at Atlanta’s 5 Spot. The house was packed as the quartet pandered their sound that while improvised at times, never lost the preconceived structure of the song.
They rolled through what has now become a vast and expansive catalog of instrumental music where jazz is the prevailing undercurrent and did so with glimmers in their eyes. It is clear that these guys love what they are doing in this ensemble, evidenced by the maniacal antics of Skerik, the punkish yelps of Dillon and the spitting of whiskey from Benevento onto Moore. Their joy spilled into the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd who lapped up the gig from opening oddity to persistent mayhem and closing weirdness.
Â Click the thumbnail to view the photo gallery From The Show
Pay attention folks. We are having to crack down on how these contests go down.
1) One winner will walk away with a signed copy of the new album from Garage A Trois, Always Be Happy But Stay Evil.Â Â
How to Enter
1) “Like” Garage A Trois’ Facebook page (if for some strange reason you haven’t already) then log on to Honest Tune’s Facebook page to tell us that you have done your duties in the OFFICIAL GARAGE A TROIS CONTEST THREAD. Anything will do… you can simply put “done” or you could tell us how what you think goes on in the mind of Skerik, but you MUST TAG Garage A Trois in your comment.Â Seriously, it is just so that we will know whose names to put in the hat (or pitcher like Col. Bruce used when he drew the Mike Gordon contest winners’ names).
2) The contest will end on 5/22/11 at 11:59PM EST.
3) As with most of our contests, all names will be put in a box, hat, or whatever is handy and the drawing will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube on this channel and via Facebook.
4) The contest is limited to residents of the United States.
In the meantime, get to “liking” some pages, sit back, relax and if you want, let us know if you like this new idea for a series. GOOD LUCK!
**The contents/rules of this giveaway are purely the responsibility of Honest Tune.**