In 1976, after Cesar Chavez helped get Coca-Cola to sponsor his groundbreaking Latin entertainment television show, The Mean Salsa Machine, television and music producer Art Brambila wanted to do something in return for Chavez and the United Farm Workers. The idea of SÃ Se Puede! (Yes We Can!) came to him.
After reviewing over 120 songs and speeches from UFW marches, Brambila began to create the list of songs for the album. Inspired by his work, he wrote â€œMaÃ±ana Is Now,â€ the only all-English song, for the LP. As the song choices were coming together, he knew who he wanted to record and arrange the music â€” from East L.A., Los Lobos, then consisting of David Hidalgo, Louie PÃ©rez, Cesar Rojas and Conrad Lozano. This would be the bandâ€™s first released recordings, a full two years ahead of their groundbreaking EP Just Another Band From East L.A.
SÃ Se Puede will be released digitally-only on March 11, 2014 by Fantasy Records.
All arrangements and instrumentation by Los Lobos
1. De Colores â€”Los Lobos with Santa Isabel School Children’s Choir
2. Huelga en General â€” Los Lobos with Carmen Moreno
3. Yo Estoy con Chavez* â€” Los Lobos with Ramon â€œTiguereâ€ Rodriguez
4. Mujeres Valientes* â€” Los Lobos with Raul Bambila
5. MaÃ±ana Is Now* â€” Los Lobos with Geree Gonzalez and Tierra
6. Telingo Lingo – Los Lobos
7. Corrido de Delores Huerta #39â€” Los Lobos
8. Chicanita de Aztlan* â€”Los Lobos with Diana Cruz
9. Sangre Antigua â€“ Los Lobos with Carmen Moreno
10. No Nos moveran* â€”Los Lobos with Geree Gonzalez, Carmen Moreno, Tierra and Conrad Lozano