2009 has been Justin Townes Earle’s year – period.
His record, Midnight at the Movies, continues to soar – commercially and in press. In fact, Amazon named it the #8 best country record of the entire year, and the track "Walk Out" as the #2 country song.
He’s sold a ton of records, and his sales numbers week to week continue to soar. He tours constantly, and has garnered some pretty great press attention.
Let’s hit the highlights:
– Justin won best emerging artist at this year’s Americana Music Awards in September.
– GQ named him one of 2009’s fashion icons and Esquire said his track "Mama’s Eyes" is one of the "50 songs every man should be listening to."
– The record, Midnight at the Movies, got four stars in Rolling Stone, rave reviews in the Wall Street Journal, Paste, New York Times, Mojo, Los Angeles Times, and on and on. He’s been featured on NPR, WNYC, KEXP, and on commercial radio all over the place.
– He’s on tour right now with Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys, having just come off a series of dates with The Pogues. He’s done runs in Australia, England, Europe and all over the US – well over 150 dates so far this year, total. He tore up SXSW, and rocked Bonnaroo. He’s a road dog, and absolutely amazing live.
– He’s in consideration for three different Grammy award noms, including the Americana album of the year – up against his ol’ man Steve Earles’ Townes record.
More than anything, Justin is an amazing performer. He’s compelling, has a one of a kind look, and turns it out. Check out this video of him playing a session at Paste magazine earlier this year. If you check out some of the other related videos there on youtube, you’ll get the full gamut of his musicality.
If you saw him this year, you know his show is not to be missed – and if you managed to miss him, don’t wait anymore, k? Like the Chattanooga Free Press wrote, and we know to be true, "I have a feeling that in a few years we’ll need backstage passes at the Ryman auditorium to get anywhere near him. He’s just THAT good."
Justin Townes Earle on tour 2010
Tuesday January 26 – Indianapolis, IN – Radio Radio
Thursday January 28 – Knoxville, TN – Barley’s
Thursday February 4 – Austin, TX – Stubbs BBQ
Friday February 5 – Houston, TX – The Mucky Duck
Saturday February 6 – Dallas, TX – The Granada Theatre
Tuesday February 9 – San Diego, CA – The Loft at UCSD
Thursday February 11 – Los Angeles, CA – The Echo
Friday February 12 – Santa Cruz, CA – Crepe Place
Saturday February 13 – San Francisco, CA – Great American Music Hall
Saturday February 14 – Portland, OR – Doug Fir
Monday February 15 – Seattle, WA – The Tractor Tavern
Tuesday February 16 – Vancouver, BC – The Biltmore
Thursday February 18 – Salt Lake City, UT – The State Room
Friday February 19 – Denver, CO – The Bluebird
Saturday February 20 – Telluride, CO – Sheridan Opera House
Tuesday February 23 – Iowa City, IA – The Mill
Thursday February 25 – St. Paul, MN – Turf Club
Friday February 26 – Madison, WI – High Noon Saloon
Saturday February 27 – Chicago, IL – Lincoln Hall
Sunday February 28 – Detroit, MI – The Magic Stick
Monday March 1 – Toronto, ON – Horseshoe Tavern
Tuesday March 2 – Buffalo, NY – The Mohawk
Sunday March 7 – Alexandria, VA – The Birchmere
1/26 – 2/6 with support from Dawn Landes.
2/8 – 3/7 with support from Joe Pug