Two things that we absolutely love here at Honest Tune truth in music and contests! So, we have decided to combine our love of the two by bringing an opportunity for you to catch some of the finestÂ bluegrass pickin’ — courtesy of The Travelin’ McCourys, Bill Nershi (String Cheese Incident, Emmitt-Nershi), and Jeff Austin (Yonder Mountain string Band);
The events will bookend Chicago’s Bluegrass and Blues Festival and many fans are taking the opportunity to take in all three events. Well, we are pleased to present you, yes you, the opportunity to do so at the grand total of zero dollars (sans travel and other associated costs)
Over the past year, we have found ourselves in some unique positions with these artists, gathering exclusive footage for the ages (see below). So consider this a celebration of sorts… a celebration in the joy of giving.
But first, let’s have a look at who will be playing. (Bios courtesy of the artists)
The Travelinâ€™ McCourys do not stand still. They are on the roadâ€“and onlineâ€“entertaining audiences with live shows that include some of the best musicians and singers from all genres. Itâ€™s always different, always exciting, and always great music. No other band today has the same credentials for playing traditional and progressive music. As the sons of bluegrass legend Del McCoury, Ronnie McCoury on mandolin and Rob McCoury on banjo continue their fatherâ€™s work-a lifelong dedication to the power of bluegrass music to bring joy into peopleâ€™s lives. And with fiddler Jason Carter and bassist Alan Bartram, the ensemble is loved and respected by the bluegrass faithful. But the band is now combining their sound with others to make something fresh and rejuvenated.
Jeff Austin is best known for his many years playing mandolin for Colorado heavy hitters, Yonder Mountain String Band. Yonder has always played by their own set of rules bending bluegrass, rock and roll, and countless other influences. While most known for his playing with Yonder Mountain String Band, Jeff has played with countless musicians and is sought after by countless musicians and festivals alike.
From the saloons of Telluride to the some of the most sought after venues in America, Bill Nershi has delighted countless fans as a guitarist, vocalist, songwriter and founding member of the String Cheese Incident. A seasoned veteran of flat-picking and a variety of acoustic styles, Nershi adds a unique, colorful perspective to virtually any musical situation he encounters, and his enthusiasm and playful spirit encourage an interactive, participatory experience for musicians and fans alike. His most recent forays into dobro, bass, and lap steel playing, as well as his accomplished songwriting contributions with Honkytonk Homeslice & the Emmitt-Nershi Band, prove that his musical horizons will only continue to expand.
Who: The Bluegrass Ball featuring The Travelinâ€™ McCourys, Jeff Austin, Bill Nershi and Head for the Hills
What you are playing for:
1) You are entering to win a pair of tickets to The Bluegrass Balls hosted by The Travelin’ McCourys on 1/20Â (in Indiana) and/or 1/22 performances in Missouri.
2) There will be two winners; one for 1/20 and one for 1/22. You can enter for both nights, but cannot win tickets for both.
How to enter:
How a winner will be chosen:
1) All of the entered names will be copied from the survey site and pasted into a computer generated random name picker. All of this will be videotaped so that nobody can cry foul. To see examples of us using this tool, click here, here or here. Unfortunately, we cannot get Col. Bruce to pick names out of a beer pitcher every time. We would be a lot cooler if we could.
2) The deadline for entry is Thursday, 1/19/12 at 11:59 PM EST (for the 1/20 tickets) and 1/20/12 at 11:59PM EST (for the 1/22 tickets)
3) Good Luck!
1) No previous or current Honest Tune editor/staff may enter.
2) Contributors may enter.
3) Only one entry per person (per date) will be allowed and IP Addresses are logged on the survey site.
4) Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and from within the continental United States.
Yonder Mountain String Band : Live, Backstage & Unplugged
(An Honest Tune Exclusive)
Emmitt-Nershi Band : Live, Backstage, & Unplugged
(An Honest Tune Exclusive)
The fine print: This contest and its management is the sole responsibility of Honest Tune. The contest is not endorsed or sponsored by The Travelin’ McCourys, The Bluegrass Ball, Chicago Bluegrass & Blues Festival or any artists represented herein . Any costs associated with the event (included but not limited to: lodging, travel, food, parking) will be the responsibility of the winner. IN other words, we are giving you the tickets and the rest is up to you. Honest Tune reserves the right to (at its sole discretion) disqualify entrants based upon lack of conformity to the entry process or other ineligibility as described in “Eligibility Requirements.” Tickets are not transferable. Odds of winning are based upon number of entries and the total value of each prize is $50.00.