Dave Alvin will lead his new band The Guilty Women on their new self-titled album due out 5/26 on Yep Roc Records. Simultaneously, Yep Roc will release the Alvin-curated tribute to late friend and band mate Chris Gaffney, Man of Somebody’s Dreams: A Tribute to the Songs of Chris Gaffney.
Dave Alvin’s current labors of love, the albums Dave Alvin & The Guilty Women and Man of Somebody’s Dreams: A Tribute to the Songs of Chris Gaffney are inextricably linked. After the death of long-time Guilty Men accordionist and best friend Chris Gaffney, Alvin set out compiling a tribute to the man and his songs, racking up tracks by heavyweights like Calexico, Los Lobos, Alejandro Escovedo, James McMurtry and many others.
Even though Alvin knew that Chris would want him back in the studio creating and doing what he loved as fast as possible, Dave felt the wound was still too raw to record with the Guilty Men. However, turning his considerable creative forces to a fresh project was just what the doctor ordered. The Guilty Women line-up of Cindy Cashdollar, Nina Gerber, Laurie Lewis, Christy McWilson, Sarah Brown, Amy Farris and Lisa Pankratz debuted at the 2008 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. Alvin knew instantly this was the band he would record with. “It just felt so natural,” says Alvin. “It was like I had been playing with them for a hundred years.”
1. “Marie Marie” (Dave Alvin)
2. “California’s Burning” (Dave Alvin)
3. “Downey Girl” (Dave Alvin)
4. “Weight of the World” (Christy McWilson)
5. “Anyway” (Dave Alvin/Amy Farris)
6. “Boss of the Blues” (Dave Alvin)
7. “Potter’s Field” (Christy McWilson)
8. “River Under the Road” (Sarah Brown/Anna Egge/Jimmie Dale Gilmore)
9. “These Times We’re Living In” (Kate Wolf)
10. “Nana and Jimi” (Dave Alvin)
11. “Don’t Make No Promises” (Tim Hardin)
12. “Que Sera, Sera” (Raymond Evans/Jay Livingston)