Seven years ago, an idea was born. The idea was to have Wanee Festival, music festival named after its location that would be deeply rooted in the southern jam and improvisational rock. It would be piloted by the only band who could front such an affair with much legitimacy, The Allman Brothers Band, who fit the geographic bill for “host band” perfectly as well.Â
Originally hailing from Jacksonville, FL, a mere hour and change drive from the festival site, the sacredly luscious grounds of the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park is only three hours the true Allman home, The Big House, located in Macon, GA.
In its inaugural year, the 2005 Wanee lineup boasted a grand total of 11 whole bands, a far cry from the 33 this year”s event brought.
Aside from the glaring differences since then (the implementation of electronica and other genres, much larger crowds, etc,), many things have remained the same, including: The Allman Brothers still headline two nights, Allman related (Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes & Oteil Burbridge) acts remain close to the top of the bill, the event is still deeply rooted in Southern rock/jam and Col. Bruce still isn”t on the bill.
Here at Honest Tune, we value tradition and last year, we offered a contest to win an autographed Derek Trucks photo or an autographed North Mississippi Allstars CD.
This year, we will do something similar, but first, let”s have a look at photos from Wanee, 2012.
Click the thumbnails to view photos from Wanee 2012 by Brad Kuntz…
2012 Wanee Contest
1) One winner will walk away with an autographed Warren Haynes 8×10 photo.Â
2) One winner will walk away with a copy of Leftover Salmon”s The Nashville Sessions, signed by Drew Emmitt and Vince Herman
How to Enterâ€¦
1) Log in to your Facebook account (if you arenâ€™t already).
2) Head over to GrooveStreet.TV”s Facebook Page and “Like” it.
3) Head over to the Spirt of the Suwannee”s Facebook Page & “Like” it.
4) Log into this site to fill out a brief contest entry form.
IMPORTANT: SEE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS BEFORE PLACING ENTRY
Rules & Eligibility
How a winner will be chosen:
1) All of the entered names will be copied from the survey site and pasted into a computer generated random name picker. All of this will be videotaped so that nobody can cry foul. To see examples of us using this tool, click here. If we are lucky, maybe we will bump into Col. Bruce and get him to draw names out of a beer pitcher again.
2) The deadline for entry is THURSDAY, 5/17/12 at 11:59 PM CST
3) The winner will be announced within 7 days from the entry deadline.
1) Only entries that conform to the specifications outlined in â€œHow to Enterâ€ will be considered.
2) Since this is a Facebook promotion contest, only “fans” of Honest Tune”s Facebook page are eligible.Â
3) No previous or current Honest Tune editor/staff may enter
4) Contributors (senior and otherwise) may enter.
5) Only one entry per person/ per â€œprizeâ€ will be allowed and IP Addresses are logged on the survey site.
6) Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and from within the continental United States.
Frequently Asked Questions:
A: Listen… if Ian Rawn was Brian Farmer”s nephew, he would post about it everyday on his . There would be absolutely no reason for you to have to ask that question. Ian has tried to keep this a secret, but screw it, we are outing him. The only reason that Ian goes to see any show that Warren is involved in is because of how Farmer tunes Warren”s guitars, sets his levels, etc. Ian will try and discredit what has been written here, but as you know… you should always believe everything you read.
2) Q: I don”t have a Facebook account. What can I do to still have a chance to enter?
A:Â “O” to the “M” to the muthafunkin” “G.” It is you again, isn”t it? Same story, different day. Or is it a different story this time? Wait… let us guess. Oh, I got it! The last time you had a Facebook account, somebody hacked into it and sent your mom a bunch of crazy messages. The only problem with that story was that all of the messages were true and that “chocolate” that you ate was more than a Reese”s. Look dude, it wasn”t Facebook”s fault. Learn your lesson. Don”t take candy from strangers. Didn”t you learn that when you were like five years old? However, if you find yourself at an event where you feel that you “must” do so, just don”t get on the computer.
Once again, if you absolutely refuse to have a Facebook in your name, create a fake one. Just let us know in the special place in the entry form created especially for you. Or you could just not enter.
3) Q: I have a question that is not answered here. Why is it not answered and what do you plan to do about it?
A: Too bad.
Damn. How cool would it be to be able to really be mean like that? Probably not very cool, actually. But we will never know because we are really nice people here and we really love you a lot. So, if there is absolutely something that you must know, head up to the top of the page and click on the â€œcontactâ€ menu item and fill out the submission form. We will be with you shortly.
This contest is solely the responsibility of Honest Tune. It is not affiliated with nor is it endorsed by Wanee Music Festival, Live Nation, Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park, Warren Haynes, Leftover Salmon or any other representative thereof. Odds of winning depend on number of entries. The winner will be contacted via his/her email address and must respond to the contact within 72 hours. All entries must be received from within the United States. Rules & eligibility requirements may be changed with or without notice within the first 72 hours of the contestâ€™s launch. After 72 hours, any changes will be posted via Honest Tuneâ€™s Twitter or Facebook account. All entries must be submitted via the above listed criteria and Honest Tune reserves the right to disqualify entries based solely its discretion and upon an entryâ€™s lack of conformity to the standards outlined above.